The Notebooks of Memory
- This third film in the series focuses on tribunals of local citizen-judges weighing survivor accounts of the massacres against the testimony of perpetrators.
On a lush green Rwandan hillside, more than a decade after the 1994 genocide to wipe out the Tutsi population, a small rural community gathers on the grass over and over again for the Gacaca (ga-CHA-cha) trials, a unique experiment in justice meant to bring unity back to this nation. In The Notebooks of Memory award-winning filmmaker Anne Aghion spends four years following the process, as a tribunal of local citizen-judges weighs survivor accounts of the massacres against the testimony of perpretrators who barter confessions for reduced prison sentences.
- Produced & Directed by Anne Aghion
- Edited by Nadia Ben Rachid
- Camera by James Kakwerere, Linette Frewin
- Sound Recording by Richard Fleming
- Sound Editing by Roland Duboué
- Sound Mix by Nathalie Vidal
Produced with support from: